My Blog?

My Name is Susie, I'm 17 years of age and live in the lively city of Portland, hence the name. I'm brand new to the world of blogging so let's give it a go. I'll try to write about what I know which is dance, style, music, being young, and the terrible world which is high school. Stay tuned and maybe I'll catch your fancy.

Monday, March 29, 2010

It's hippie season again...






Vest: Bought from the Lincoln Costume room, after we used it for the last show.
Dress: House of Vintage
Belt: Mother's Closet





We all know what this means :) floral prints, paisley's, sandals, fringe, the whole deal. I am talking about the lovely hippie grunge style that is beautifully expressed in the spring time. My personal favorite right now is shag vests. I went to a friend's band's house show last week where I wore a light purple shag vest, on which I received many comments. One friend said she recently read in her bible, Nylon Magazine, that shag vests are in this season. Out of the compliments and questions on my wardrobe choice that night, one stood out to me. While talking to a group of friends one friend chose to make a very kind comparison. He said, "Has anyone seen Almost Famous? Well you look like Penny Lane tonight, I think it's the vest and the hair." I am constantly compared to Sarah Jessica Parker and her character, Carrie Bradshaw, so this was rather refreshing to be compared to the equally as lovely Kate Hudson (which I look nothing like) and her character from one of my favorite movies of all time, Almost Famous. So for your enjoyment, or possibly to cure my own boredom, above I have some pictures of Penny Lane, Queen of all groupies, and then some not as cute pictures of my interpretation. As for music... "Stillwater" the group in Almost Famous are based off of a mix of The Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin, and The Eagles. So, while I recommend you listen to the classics, I have a few suggestions that I believe are a good fit for this post. I recommend, The Grateful Dead, and for a more modern feel The Fleet Foxes and MGMT (personal favorites) hopefully this will help complete your hippie grunge state of mind for spring.

Enjoy!


The Petite Portlandian

3 comments: